Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Week One

Week one, wow what a rush. Everything is in full swing, with classes being even harder than I thought they’d be. English has no papers to turn in, everything is online, and there isn’t a final in there which is going to be pretty nice. Math, Calc I looks to be challenging, as we already have homework and are in full swing from day one. My computer science class is going to be very interesting and she seems like a really good teacher, she reminds me of Ms. Dankert, nice but strict and serious about learning. French will be interesting. I see some of the same root words as I did in Spanish, but the pronunciation is so different, I can already see some problems arising with that class.


My last class is an introduction to Air Force Engineering class, which seems pretty laid back and fun. We’re going to build rockets, gliders, and mini bridges to show our understanding for different aspects of engineering. This class covers most of the types of engineering including, Aero, Space, Civil, Mechanical and Electrical. While it may be very challenging at times, I see this class being the most interesting and the most fun. I’m sure this will help me chose my major whether it a type of engineering, or a fuzzy major like Econ.


Overall, life here is pretty hectic, with the running on the terrazzo, greeting everyone along the way, and the mandatory calling of the minutes in the morning. Freshman have to wake up around 6 to take out the trash and clean the hallways all before falling out at 6:45 to yell how much time is left until the morning meal. We also call what the meals are, and we are tested on knowledge. We have our first official knowledge test this Monday, where we will be required to know facts on the A-10, the KC-10, different quotes and the group staff list.


Meals are getting a little better as I am at ease for the morning meal, which means no longer do I have to stare at the eagle, and am now allowed to use my full chair to sit, including the back rest. Lunch and dinner I am eating at the Pole Vaulter’s table, consisting of 4 freshman, 1 sophomore and 3 seniors. Cadet Col. Marshall Wills is a senior, who sits at my table. He was in charge of all of basic training, and was the one guy you didn’t want to come in contact with. Now that we’re out of basic, he is the nicest most funny guy here. He still wears his rank on his clothes and can still boss anyone around, but for the pole vaulters, we’re not allowed to call him sir or even by his last name. It’s all first name basis.


The team should be pretty fun, and it’s what’s going to keep me sane. We played volleyball Saturday for over 2 hours as a team, and after that, I can tell that track time is fun time, that everyone wants it to be a ‘hang out spot’ per say. While I am only better than 3 of the roughly 11 pole vaulters, I can tell I am respected and liked, even after just a few days. The whole track team is real nice, and no one wants to ever be greeted as sir or ma’am. When we’re down on the track, the military life doesn’t follow.


While I’m bummed to be in school already, I am thankful to be out of basic and into what the Academy really has to offer. School will be tough this year, but I’m going to take advantage of all of the different extra instruction sessions ever teacher has, and will use everything I have to keep my grades up. My goal is a 3.0 first semester, which is going to be difficult, but I know with some hard work and good time management I will be able to do what I need to, to achieve just that.


After now being in the school year for a week, I can tell things will be stressful, things will be hard, but best of all, it looks like I should have some fun this year.


This might be my longest post on here, but I will continue to post weekly. Ask any questions and I will get back to you.


Thanks guys, Love you all

Matt




Just one of the many cool sites from my window

2 comments:

  1. Great blog! It's nice to have a feel for what you are doing and going through...we are sooo proud...love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, Thanks for the details of your life. Keeps me from having to guess. I admire you and all the cadets for your committment. you're the guy. ox, Aunt m

    ReplyDelete